Do you receive care and support, either in your own home or within a care home - due to a disability, old age or a long-term health condition - which means you need support with day-to-day tasks?

If so, you may be able to receive help from Bromley Council with some or all of the costs. Exactly how much you get will depend on your individual needs and how much you can afford. To be eligible for financial support from the Council, you must:

  • have been assessed by a care manager as needing care, and
  • have less than £23,250* in savings or capital (assets), and
  • have weekly income which is less than the weekly cost of the care home you have chosen, and
  • be a resident of the London Borough of Bromley.

More about this on Bromley Council website.  * This threshold is due to increase in October 2025.

You can ask Bromley Council for a financial assessment (means test) to check if you qualify for any help with costs.  This assessment is free.

The NHS has useful information about this assessment here.  You can choose to pay for care yourself (self fund) if you don’t want a financial assessment. 


Self funders

Every year Bromley Council produce an Independent Living Guide which includes a directory of local care homes and care services. Available online, by post or download a copy here.

Vibrance is a registered charity which provides a range of services to adults with a disability across London and the south east of England. They provide support in Bromley for self funders. Check Vibrance website.  

LinkMeUp is a service from Vibrance. They support people in receipt of a personal budget, personal health budget and those self-funding their care and support needs to live quality lives. Check LinkMeUp website

The NHS has lots of information about paying for your own care on the NHS website.

Get advice on paying for care from Age UK website or call them on their free advice line 0800 678 1602.

Bromley Well and our partner charity Age UK Bromley and Greenwich have some services which you can pay for if you're not eligible for financial support. Bromley Well has a Handyperson service for those small jobs around the home and Age UK Bromley and Greenwich have a Shopping Service.

Independent Age is a registered charity which supports older people and their families by providing free, impartial advice on the issues such as: care and support, money and benefits, health and mobility.  Call their free Helpline on 0800 319 6789.

MoneyHelper is a free service provided by the Money and Pensions Service. Online, over the phone or face-to-face, they provide money and pensions guidance and can point you to trusted services, if you need more support.  Call their freephone advice line on 0800 011 3797.