If you or someone you know is finding it hard to cover living costs, there is support available.


Cost of living - easy read guides

Download a copy of the government's Easy Read help with cost of living.

National charity Mencap have a section available to help you.


Citizens Advice guide on help with the cost of living

Citizens Advice have a clear and comprehensive guide to help you with the cost of living which covers benefits, energy, food, travel and other essentials.

Check their website for a step by step guide to what help you might be entitled to and how to access it. 

Check what help you can get from the Bromley Council

Check what help you can get from Bromley Council including benefits, council tax support, disability allowances and the Bromley Welfare Fund.

In addition, from October 2023 residents can apply for the Bromley Household Support Fund, funded by the Department of Work and Pensions. This fund provides additional support to those most in need. 


Check what help you can get from the government

See what cost of living support you could be eligible for from central government including the £150 disability cost of living support; the cost of living payment for households on means tested benefits, including Universal Credit, Pension Credit and Tax Credits and the pensioner cost of living payment.


Mayor of London

Check the free advice and support from The Mayor of London’s Warmer Homes Advice Service and Help with the Cost of Living.


Help with bills and other living expenses

Energy - National Energy Action (NEA) is a charity, working to ensure that everyone is warm and safe at home.

SELCE are a local charity who help people in Lewisham, Greenwich, Bromley and Bexley. SELCE can support those on low-incomes and those with long term health conditions, older people and young families. Call 020 45666764 to speak to an energy advisor. 

Unpaid carers - check Carers UK for support and guidance.

Older people - Age UK have help on benefits, managing your money, debt, pensions and more. 

Water - Thames Water have a WaterSure bill cap and WaterHelp schemes to help households in need of extra support. This includes low-income households, households with large families and those who have a water-dependent medical condition.

Food - If you're struggling to pay for food, you might be able to get a referral to a food bank in Bromley. Foodbanks work with local referral agencies who can provide the correct ongoing support for you.

Your health - you might be able to get help paying for NHS charges, for example: prescriptions dental treatment sight tests, glasses and contact lenses travel to NHS treatment.

Transport costs - check Citizens Advice section on travel costs.

School costs - check Citizens Advice section on school costs.

Broadband and phone - 'Social tariffs' are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband.  Check Ofgem website for more information and how to apply.


Help managing debt and budgeting

Free support with managing debt and finances is available from Debt Free London and also Step Change who have a useful overview of financial support available for the rising cost of living. 


If you're worried or anxious about the cost of living

The cost of living crisis might be affecting your mental health or putting you under added pressure. Help is available. 

Check Mental Health and Money Advice website, the first UK-wide online advice service designed to help you understand, manage and improve your financial and mental health. Mental Health UK is a UK-wide charity.

For Londoners, check Thrive London for self help resources and where to get urgent help.

Cost of living crisis: How to look after your mental health from the team at Good Thinking, London’s digital mental wellbeing service, has put together this article to give you some practical tips and links to support organisations.

Greater London Authorities  Help With the Cost of Living online hub continues to be updated with a range of information to support Londoners, including on money and mental health.


How Bromley Well can help

If you are a Bromley borough resident, Bromley Well provides free support.

Call freephone 0808 278 7898, or complete the online form or email spa@bromleywell.org.uk