Count Me In! January 30th is Young Carers Awareness Day
On Young Carers Awareness Day, Bromley Well are urging local schools and colleges to make sure young carers count.
Across the UK, as many as one in five children and young people are young carers and only half of them have a particular person in school who recognises that they are a carer and supports them.
To mark #YoungCarersAwarenessDay (#YCAD) Bromley Well are calling on local schools and colleges to help raise awareness of young carers and make sure they’re supported to achieve their potential.
The Bromley Well Team will be visiting schools to talk to staff and pupils, raising awareness about the challenges faced by Young Carers.
- Wednesday 29th January: At Chislehurst School for Girls from 12:00-12:40pm to deliver an assembly to year 12s to raise awareness and promote YCAD.
- Thursday 30th January: At Darrick Wood School from 8:40am-8:55am delivering an assembly and running an information stall during breaks.
- Thursday 30th January: At Charles Darwin School, Biggin Hill visiting their Young Carers Group and supporting them to run their own information stall at lunchtime.
The team will be handing out some goodies to help spread the message of the day!
Matt Vollar, Young Carers Co-ordinator at Bromley Well said “Thanks so much to the staff for inviting us and for recognising and supporting this important issue. We know that when children and young people are spending a lot of time and energy caring for a loved one this can have a negative impact on their education. We’re encouraging all Bromley schools to recognise young carers as a vulnerable group of learners and try to do more to identify them earlier and help them to get the support they need”.
Want to help us raise awareness of young carers and make sure they are supported to achieve their potential?
If you work with young people, parents and carers and want to get involved, please contact Bromley Well Young Carers service directly. You can email us at: email@example.com or call us on 0208 4660 790.
Here are resources you can use:
- Facts about young carers: Who they are? What do they do?
- What you can do to get involved
- Print it display it: #CountMeIn poster
Find out what support is available for young carers in Bromley
- Bromley Well Young Carers support service info
- Read the latest Bromley Well Young Carers service newsletter
If you are or know a young carer, Bromley Well Young Carers Service can help. We provides a range of practical and emotional support for carers aged 4-19 years old. To find out more and use the service please call us T: 0300 330 9039 Email firstname.lastname@example.org. There's more information about the support service on the Young Carers web page here.